When I started exercising, I thought that I didn’t need to strength train. I thought that strength training was for people who wanted to body build. But I was wrong. Not only do I love to strength train but I found out some really great benefits that will help me later in life when I get old.
Here’s the reason why you should strength train:
- For strength, duh! We slowly become weaker as we age and soon taking groceries out of the car will be a chore. If you build up your strength, you will be able to do regular activities with no problem.
- Balance. You will be able to keep balance and prevent falls and accidents. For instance, if you do 1 minute planks everyday, you can continue to walk straight without fear of forming a hump.
- Prevent lost in bone density. This also goes along with strength because with strong muscles, you need strong bones.
- Strong heart. Cardio helps get the blood pumping to keep the heart moving but so does strength training. A healthy heart helps lower blood pressure.
- Calorie burn. If you workout your muscles, they will continue to burn calories throughout the day because the metabolic rate will increase.